We Need Some Help
POSITION AVAILABLE: Conservation and Rural Community Outreach Assistant
Note: This position is available immediately. Send in your application as soon as possible!
LOCATION: Brantford, Ontario (close to Hamilton and Cambridge)
ELIGIBILITY: Age 30 or younger, and be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant (Federal grant requirement). We are an equal opportunity employer.
LANGUAGE: Spanish is an asset
ABOUT US: Fostering an Inclusive Community
The Langford Conservancy is a small, not-for-profit organization. We work to create a welcoming, inclusive rural community, and protect farmland and local ecosystems. We operate the Langford Schoolhouse as an accessible community hub, with a certified kitchen. We focus on conservation, and on outreach to seniors and to migrant farm workers.
You’ll be helping us with:
- caring for the Langford Schoolhouse and the grounds, cleaning, and assisting with small scale renovations,our ecotourism work (nature and birding walks, research and preparation of interpretative signs for local trails),
- our conservation related work (restoration work on a forest trail, tree planting),
- outreach to migrant farm workers (including delivery of bikes, meals and food), and seniors in particular (pilot farmstay for seniors),
- research and outreach related to conservation and farmland protection,
- social media (postings, web site changes),
- salvaging, redistributing and preserving surplus food and preparing meals,
We’re looking for someone who:
- is collaborative and respectful of others
- has good interpersonal skills, particularly with seniors and migrant farm workers
- shows initiative
- demonstrates an interest in working on issues such as farmland protection, conservation, ecotourism and/or nature related work, salvaging and redistributing food, and outreach to migrant farm workers
- book-keeping (ideally Quickbooks)
- building and grounds maintenance skills (e.g. cleaning, painting, grounds work)
- social media skills
- Spanish speaking
- ESL skills
- bicycle repair
- small scale construction/renovation experience
HOURS, PAYMENT, TERM:
$15.50/hr, 35 hours per week for 8 months
Rental accommodation (optional) is available at Heart’s Content Farm
Covid Precautions: We welcome applicants who are double vaccinated and who comply with local COVID safety regulations.
We are a SMOKE FREE workplace.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to: ehaley1LC@gmail.com
For more information CONTACT US or call 226-802-2801
OUTREACH TO MIGRANT FARM WORKERS
- Help with community events
- Ability to speak Spanish is helpful, but not necessary
HELP WITH THE LANGFORD SCHOOLHOUSE
- Grounds Care – Painting, Community garden, Tree planting , General maintenance
- Schoolhouse Building – Showing hall, Cleaning, Minor renovations.
Did you know you can rent The Schoolhouse for your event?
The Langford Schoolhouse is available for rental on a daily or recurring basis. The Schoolhouse is accessible and equipped with a certified kitchen. With a capacity of 50 to 70 guests (depending on seating configuration and number of tables), it is a wonderful venue for showers, weddings, teas, workshops, luncheons/suppers, reunions, meetings, band rehearsals, bake sales and other community events.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have. We can also connect you with Farmstay options available nearby for your guests who are traveling a distance to attend your event.