If no alcohol will be served or given as gifts at your event, please refer to our Rental Policy – No Alcohol
To book the Schoolhouse for an event with alcohol permitted, first review the Terms and Conditions below, then contact us to check on availability for your preferred date(s), download and print the Rental Agreement, follow the instructions in the Special Requirements, then send us the signed agreement and payment as outlined in the Rental Terms and Conditions.
Special Requirements for Alcohol Permit
- Ensure that someone with a current Smart Serve certificate (recent within 3 years) will be at the event for the entire time. If you do not have someone within your party with Smart Serve, please let us know and would like this service. We can help organize someone to be present for your event, for an additional cost. Please visit smartserve.ca for more information about these requirements. Initial:
- Ensure that your Smart Serve certified person applies for a Special Occasion Permit (SOP) for a private event. Please note, there is a difference between an event where alcohol is being sold versus not being sold. An SOP is needed any time alcohol is offered for sale or served anywhere other than in a licensed establishment. Permits cost between $25-$75. The designated Smart Server at your event must be listed on this permit. Initial:
- Provide proof of special occasion insurance (including $2 million of liability coverage). The Langford Conservancy must be listed under “Additional Insured”. There are several companies that offer this type of insurance. PAL Insurance has several simple and affordable plans that we would recommend.
- Provide both the Special Occasion Permit and Insurance card to the Langford Conservancy representative 14 days prior to the event.
- Pay the $50 refundable cleaning deposit. This deposit will be refunded after the hall has been inspected and determined to be left clean.
General Rental Terms and Conditions
- The Renter(s) must be 18 years of age or older and must be in attendance on site for the entire time.
- DEPOSIT: At the time of application, a non-refundable $25 Booking Deposit and a $50.00 refundable Cleaning Fee is required. The Cleaning Fee will be refunded after the event if the hall meets standard of the cleaning checklist.
- PAYMENT: The Rental Fee is due in full 7 days prior to the event. Our preferred method of payment is e transfer (Send to: richard @ lconserv.org – remove the spaces) We also accept cash or cheque. Make cheques payable to: Langford Conservancy. Our Mailing address: Langford Conservancy, 27 Ronald Rd., Brantford ON N3T 5M1
- CANCELLATION: For a single date rental the Renter may terminate the rental agreement without penalty if notice is received by Langford Conservancy 14 days prior to the rental date. Multiple Date Event Rentals may cancel any date(s) without penalty if written notice is received 14 days in advance. With shorter notice we are unlikely to be able to re-book the facility. Note: The Booking Deposit ($25) is non-refundable.
- SET-UP: The Renter shall contact the hall manager to review the setup requirements.
- Rental time includes both set-up and take-down time. Should these times be overstayed, extra charges may apply.
- PERMITS/LICENSES: Non-licensed gambling or gaming activities are not permitted (e.g. Raffles, 50/50 Draws, Crown and Anchor, arm’s length of tickets). A license is required if you are selling raffle tickets to see if you have the lucky number/win prizes. Contact the County of Brant regarding this type of permit.
- SPECIAL APPARATUS: The Renter shall not use any special apparatus such as – but not limited to: smoke machines, bouncing castles, tents, and scissor lifts/skyjacks, etc. – without the prior approval of the Langford Conservancy. Any additional requirements for the use of such apparatus (e.g.insurance, CSA approval, building permits) must be agreed upon and obtained in advance, and followed by the Renter.
- SAFETY: The Renter agrees to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the event is carried on in a safe and orderly manner to ensure the safety of all people attending or working at the event.
- The Renter shall comply with the facility’s FIRE SAFETY PLAN as follows:
➢ Make note of all locations of Fire Pull stations and Fire Extinguishers.
➢ Make note of all fire exits.
➢ DO NOT BLOCK EXITS. All exits must be kept clear at all times. Fire regulation clearance is 3’6” for all doors.
➢ Candles are permitted only if they are used on a birthday cake or fully enclosed in a non-flammable container such as a hurricane glass. The Renter shall ensure that candles are not left unattended.
- WASTE AND CLEAN-UP: The Langford Conservancy is dedicated to reducing waste. The Renter agrees to take all garbage/recycling/compost away after the rental, including from the washrooms and follow the cleaning guidelines provided prior to completion of the rental time.
- The Langford Schoolhouse is smoke free. Encourage your guests to use the metal cans located just outside the front door. To avoid losing your Cleaning Fee, clean up any cigarette butts on our grounds.
- DECORATIONS: The Renter shall not suspend items from the ceiling, including piñatas.
- The Renter shall ensure that the use of rice, confetti, decorative sparkles or glitter is not permitted in the facility.
- The Renter shall not decorate the facility unless they have prior approval by the Langford Conservancy. Helium balloons are only permitted if prearranged. Suction cups, magnetic clips and green painters tape may be used. The Renter may not use tacks, screws or other types of tape to affix objects to walls, chalkboards, windows, floors, doors, tables, chairs and ceilings. Tape may not be used on the floors. The Renter must remove all decorations and all traces of adhesive materials at the end of the event or risk losing the Cleaning Fee refund.
- CLEARING THE FACILITY: The Renter shall not play music, whether recorded or performed after 1:00 AM, and shall ensure the facility is cleared of guests by 1:30 AM, with the exception of event organizers who are permitted to remain for clean-up purposes until 2:00 AM.
- IMPORTANT DETAILS: The Renter is responsible for the cost of any damage to property, buildings, furnishings, supplies or equipment.
- Langford Conservancy assumes no responsibility for personal injury or damage or for lost or stolen articles of the permit holder, or anyone attending the function.
- The Renter agrees to observe, comply with, and enforce all requirements of insurance, permit(s) and related documents, and all Rules, Regulations and Bylaws of the Langford Conservancy, as well as Provincial or Federal regulations, including, but not limited to matters affecting sanitation, health, fire prevention, safety, noise and crowd control.
- Failure to comply with the Rental Agreement may result in the event being shut down and loss of future rental privileges.